Friday, November 19, 2010

Open Letter to Cormac McCarthy

Dear Cormac McCarthy,
I have recently read your book The Road. I thought it was quite interesting. I liked that the setting was a place that no human being could directly relate to. The descriptions in the book have made me shiver few times when I think of the cold and barren land.
I would have questions about the book like, “what did you mean by this” but I do not think you are willing to answer such questions or if there really is an answer. Some questions I do want to ask are: what made you write this book and what was the inspiration? How has your own experiences contributed to your work? I have read a little bit of your biography and remember you saying that you find no point in writing if it is not dealing with death. Does this mean that you often see death in all things? In The Road there is death all around the boy and the man. It is interesting how the characters cope with this misery. To have hope in this situation is difficult yet the love of the father towards his son and vice-versa sustains them.
I do not know if you were trying to use anything as symbols in your book. Apparently, a critic once said that the boy represented something like “goodness incarnate”. I thought an important part of the book was that the father continued to hold to his ideals and did not become lawless like many other survivors. This could have symbolized that there is something that is universal for human beings in every situation. For example, money is lauded, but it has no intrinsic value, so when it loses its backing it loses its value. In The Road, I think you are showing that there are things that have intrinsic value, things that retain its value, like bonding with your child.

1 comment:

  1. Good analogy at the end, yeah I wonder if he meant what people see too.

    ReplyDelete