Monday, June 6, 2011

Book to Read

I don't read many books. It's not that I do not want to read. I just don't get anytime, or rather, I don't make time for it. I am interested in certain topics, and I want to go more in-depth in stuff, but my initial excitement for a topic usually wears out. By the time I pick out a book and get time to read it, I usually have something else of interest in my mind. I'm like, "Do I really want to read this? I should probably do something else." I have a To-Read-List and I'm probably never going to get to it. I usually like classics, maybe because everyone else likes them. I usually just come across a book and say, "hmm, that sounds interesting." One book I remember putting on my list is Flatland. It's about a circle who lives in a two dimensional world. Its world is inhabited by other two-dimensional shapes. In the story, the circle meets a sphere who tells the circle that there is whole different world, a three-dimensional world. The book somewhat probes space and time and dimensions. It apparently also is a commentary of the social hierarchy in Victorian culture, according to Wikipedia. I wouldn't know because I didn't read the book. I usually find books when I google a topic that I am interested in. Sooner or later I find a book related to the topic or a book I 've heard about and put it on my To-Read-List, always with that false sense of assuredness that I will get to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment